Sunday, July 6, 2014

Cheryl, Alameda, CA

I was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months after moving to Alameda from Nova Scotia, Canada. I was unfamiliar with health insurance issues in the US, but luckily I found Nurse Health Advocate, Linda Garvin. Linda helped me navigate the health system and assisted me in making critical decisions about complex treatment recommendations. Linda helped me develop a detailed list of questions for my surgeons and oncologists. Together we reviewed different treatment options specific to my type of cancer. We discussed my diet, cancer fighting food choices prudent for pre-surgery and radiation therapy and prevention of further cancer. Linda encouraged me to develop a personal health record that has proven to be a great tool for physician’s appointments, surgery and emergencies, as well as a post surgical discharge list in preparation for my recovery at home. Her professionalism, knowledge, expertise and compassion were invaluable to me at a time when informed decisions and support were critical to me and my family. Linda is a superb Nurse Health Advocate; definitely someone you want on your team whenever you or a family member is facing threatening or difficult health care situations.

BACK STORY: I received a call from Cheryl who had only lived in the United States a few months before her diagnosis of breast cancer. She was unfamiliar with our health care system,  insurance coverage, treatment protocols and understanding the pro’s and con’s of chemotherapy, radiation therapy and numerous other issues around this new diagnosis.

I was able to help her be organizing information in a manner she could understand, provided questions for her to ask her Oncologist, pre and post surgical tips to avoid infections, as well as discharge preparation after surgery. She made decisions which she was comfortable with and had an excellent recovery. She has been cancer free for several years.

#advocacy #cancer