Saturday, October 28, 2017

Karen in Washington, DC

Before I took a job out of state, I used caregivers to assist with my mother’s independent living. When she moved to assisted living, I thought “outside” assistance would be unnecessary. I was wrong. While regular meals and on-time meds were no longer a problem, what I did need was a set of local “eyes and ears” who could accompany my mother to medical and dental appointments and who could act as her advocate. Linda has been exceptional in every regard. Linda not only makes appointments and transports my mother to each, she provides timely, detailed reports and provides me with her own observations on each visit; she insures medications are appropriate and updated. I am convinced I would use Linda’s services to some degree, even if I wasn’t 3,000 miles away! Linda’s thoroughness and obvious medical expertise allow her to raise questions and address issues which might otherwise go unnoticed; and her continuing advocacy and vigilance have prevented health crises, and unnecessary hospitalizations from occurring: the neurologist considered a second medication for Alzheimer’s that dramatically improved my mother’s mood; the cardiologist decreased her cardiac medications resulting in a more stable heart rate; a physical therapy referral after observing an unsteady gait, made my mother physically stronger walking with a cane. My mother recently turned 90, is medically stable and has an enhanced quality of life, Thanks to Linda.

BACK STORY: Carol contacted me feeling desperate and stressed at being unable to handle all of her sister-in-law’s multiple chronic and acute diagnoses.  The family could not attend all of the physician appointments, coordinate the needed surgery, get second opinions or understand  the medical questions and decisions they were asked to provide feedback on from various physicians. What also exacerbated the situation, was the sister-in-law’s feeling overwhelmed and having difficulty remembering what she was told from each physician.


#advocacy